Oils, what's the big deal?


Many of my friends have been oil users for years. Yeah, they smell good and a great alternative to candles or incense but why are people so obsessed with them? When I was contacted about trying oils out, at first I wasn't sure if it was for me. I mean, I am such a candle lover! I asked my friends who currently oil about them and why they use and love them. I was shocked at how many different ways they used their oils! I always thought they were just put in a diffuser for scent. Boy, was I wrong and so not knowledgable! After hearing all the positive comments from so many friends, I decided that I wanted to give them a try.

Let me start off by saying, I've received a lot of packages being a blogger and this one was so nicely done. I loved how organized everything was. The instructions, diffuser, oil box and magazines were all so clean and crisp looking. I love that the diffuser looks like a piece of art in my home and not some big eyesore that is sitting on our kitchen counter. The magazines and instructions break down all the different oils the company offers and a little bit about all of them. I couldn't believe how many oils there were except I had no clue what to do with them! I remember thinking, "okay, now what?" I literally had clue where to begin, so if I'm being completely honest it sat on my counter for two weeks. It's not that I wasn't excited to try them out, I just didn't even know where to begin! I didn't want to mess them up or ruin them. Luckily, they are pretty fool proof as long as you know how to use them correctly. So, I immediately jumped on Pinterest and started looking up all kinds of information on them and blends to use in my home.


Oils can be used in a few different ways:
+ Vitality: This means they are intended for consumption. You can take it in a capsule, added to your tea/water or added to your cooking!
+ Topical: This means it can be added to your skin but some may need diluted before applied.
+ Dilute: In order to dilute an oil you are going to need a carrier. A carrier could be lotion, a natural lipid/moisturizer, Coconut oil or other oils like Jojoba oil, Olive oil or Argan oil. A good rule of thumb when seeking to make a 2% dilution is to add 12 drops of oil to each fl. ounce (30ml) of carrier oil.
+ Aromatic: This refers to inhaling the oil. You do this by putting a few drops in your palms and cupping over your nose. 
+Diffuser: The most well known way to use oils. Add water and drops of essential oils of your choice. Use alone or combine to create different scents!

Why I chose Young Living?
They are easily one of the top brands when it comes to oils and for good reason. YL has developed their own "Seed to Seal" promise that ensures that they have inspected the purity of the oil from the planting of the seed to the sealing of the bottle.

Essential oils are the "lifeblood" of a plant that are found in a plant's flower, stem, leaves, bark and fruit! I am such a nature person. Not like your hippie, tree hugger but I am totally content with being outside and listening to the sounds of nature. I even pick vacation spots based on scenery so when I found out oils where chosen from every part of a plant I thought that was super cool.

Now, for a break down of each product that comes with the kit and what they are used for!


Peppermint

+Easily one of my favorites, especially because it's like Christmas in a bottle...yum
+Diffuse it for a nice spa like feel
+ Great for gastrointestinal system comfort
+ Enhances healthy gut function
+ Apply one drop to chest along with Lavender and Lemon during the spring



Thieves

+ Another absolute favorite of mine and the most popular oil
+Diffuse it for another nice Christmas smell.
+ Apply to feet for immunity support
+ Can contribute to overall wellness when taken as a dietary supplement
+ Has its own line of cleaning supplies!


Digize

+ A blend of ginger, anise, fennel, peppermint, tarragon, lemongrass, patchouli and Juniper.
+ Exclusive to Young Living
+ Helps with your digestive system
+ Take it in a gel capsule or mix it in your water
+ Apply to the tummy after a heavy meal or on a car ride



Lemon

+ Another favorite, smells so clean and love it combined with several other oils
+Delicious in water and food
+ Helps support a healthy immune system
+ Apply to the chest along with Lavender and peppermint during the spring
+ Use to clean sticky residue off of surfaces


Lavender

+ Hands down my absolute favorite scent. I use this almost everyday whether it's in my diffuser, topically or aromatically.
+ Perfect for calming and fighting nervous tension
+ Can be used to cleanse and soothe minor skin irritation like bug bites
+ Apply to the chest
+ Add 10 drops to your diffuser before bed
+ Apply to your skin care routine


Frankincense

+ Dubbed as the "King of Oils", it promotes the appearance of smooth, healthy skin.
+ It's also featured in YL's skincare products
+ Diffuse 5 drops at night with Lavender to calm kids
+ Apply to chest when feeling restless


Citrus Fresh

+ It's an antioxidant-rich blend that cab freshen the air in any environment.
+ Sweet, refreshing blend of orange, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon, mandarin and a splash of spearmint
+ I love diffusing this after we just cleaned the kitchen
+ Add 2 drops to water for a pick me up


Raven

+ Consists of Ravintsara, lemon, wintergreen, peppermint and eucalyptus radiata.
+ It can be used to make your own chest rub to apply over the chest and throat. Simply add a warm compress over top to result in a calming aroma.
+ A must have in every home during the winter months


Panaway

+ A stimulating blend of peppermint, wintergreen, clove and helichrysum.
+ Contains natural occurring methyl salicylate and menthol commonly used as an active ingredient in many sports creams, so it can be applied to the neck and back for soothing,
+ Add to coconut oil for a muscle rub after a good exercise or during a massage
+ Apply to growing kids when they have growing pains


Stress Away

+ A calming blend of lavender, lime, vanilla, copaiba, cedarwood and ocotea.
+ Great as a roller to keep with you any time you need relaxing.
+ Apply to the wrist or diffuse for a sweet aroma


Copaiba

+ Has a honey-like taste and is the perfect addition to any herbal tea.
+ When taken internally, it can promote overall wellness and immune system support
+ Great for teething babies



Ningxia Red and Thieves Cleaner

+ Thieves Cleaner can be used as an all-purpose cleaner but make sure to add it to 2-3 cups of water.
+ Can be used to replace many household items such as laundry detergent, dish soap, hand soap and much more!
+ Made without synthetic dyes or colorants, parabens, petrochemicals and sulfates; so it's gentle enough for the whole family.
+ Ningxia Red is a sweet and tangy drink packed with superfoods to support overall wellness
+ Includes pure vanilla extract and lemon, orange, Yuzu and tangerine essential oils for a great-tasting, healthy treat.
+Supports energy levels, normal cellular function and whole-body and normal eye health.
+ Add into a smoothie, acai bowl or morning juice


Now that you've made it to the end; I have something for you! If you have questioned or wondered about oils like I have, take the plunge. I promise you won't regret it! I got my Young Living kit through the nicest, most helpful lady named Rebecca. You can sign up through her link here or message me directly! If you sign up this month, you will receive all this AND MORE! You will get your own diffuser, all 11 blends I talked about above--plus 7 additional blends that will help you make your house smell like it's Christmas everyday, or like your shopping at Anthropologie (um, yes please) oh, and if that wasn't good enough--you also get a second diffuser! You guys, I have had my stuff for a little over a month and I am already looking at buying at least one more diffuser.

If this sounds like something you're jumping up and down about saying "yes, yes, yes!!" then message me for more details or follow @lavendernlemons on IG for more details.

Comments