Things Having A Baby Taught Me.



The minute you see those two lines or the word pregnant, your whole world changes. We prayed about that moment for months and even years. We joyfully cried and celebrated the moment we found out and every time we heard your heartbeat, felt you kick and saw your face, we thanked God. We were and still are reminded time and time again just how lucky we are to have you. We knew several couples who went through what we did and even worse. We count ourselves lucky that it was only two years of waiting and not more. We were lucky to naturally conceive. We were lucky to have no complications. We were lucky to have been gifted everything we needed to bring you home, even though our birth plan didn't quite exactly go as planned. That was our first lesson ha. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can read all about Tylar's birth story here. Anyways. The point of this post isn't to be all mushy gushy, even though there is so much to be about. This post is an honest and funny list of things that motherhood has taught me. Things I expected and didn't. 

Having a baby has taught me:

I can do a whole lot with only one arm. I have mastered laundry, making simple lunch and dinner items (no hot items or knives included, no worries), making the bed, carrying lots of needed items, feeding the dogs, etc.

The definition of multitasking is taken to a whole knew level. 

Appreciation of hot food or eating it when it's made. Don't get me wrong, when Austin is home I was able to eat warm food, but I swear when I was nursing, she wanted food when she smelled mine. Ugh.

I learned that I would be holding my pee...a lot! Baby is nursing, I'll wait. Baby falls asleep finally, too bad its on me. I'll die before I move. Waking up in the middle of the night to check if she's still breathing. Crap. Nope, I don't even care, I'm holding it. I'm so f*&!@#$ tired.

I am stronger than my husband who works out twice a day, everyday. Anyone else's husband complain about how heavy they are and you're thinking, pretty sure you've held her for 10 seconds.

That $50 outfit you thought was just so perfect you couldn't pass it up would serve as a prop in a photoshoot then immediately be taken off for fear of it being ruined by an explosion of some sort.

You really appreciate your mom and all she did for you, because now you know.

I also have so much more appreciation for single moms. You guys are rockstars. 

Also, moms with twins. God bless you.

That I'm a little crazier than I once was. Totally okay with that.

I've also learned to let go of A LOT of things. 
Babies make you realize just how precious life is and that you would literally do anything to keep them healthy and safe.

That not all women are as lucky and I pray for them the most.

That you never stop worrying. I get it mom, okay?

Being at work away from your babe is hard but being a stay at home mom is tough in different ways.

Anything repeated a million times is annoying, except for a baby's laugh, the way they say "dada", their facial expressions...

You thought you were obsessed with that one band in HS until you have a baby. God, I could live off of her smell alone.

Having a baby has taught me that I can fall in even more love with my husband.

You have much more patience for that mom who is trying to enjoy her meal at a restaurant or just trying to get through that flight without everyone wanting to kill her.

You also totally understand why people nurse everywhere and anywhere. When you've had to listen to your child scream at the top of their lungs for more than 2 minutes you literally get it.

Poop. so much poop. googling poop. answering questions about it and thinking about it daily. Receiving and sending pictures of it. Dear God, so much poop!

Modesty? What's that? Mine left the minute I found out I was pregnant.

Forgetting your body looks and feels a little different than it did before.

Forgetting how that shirt or pants even fit you? Didn't this use to be huge on me?

TMI doesn't exist, only in conversations with people who aren't yet moms. Except if you're a nurse. Those women get it.

What items are, what the kids call boujee, and what items are serious life savors. How the heck did our parents raise us? We are so freakin high maintenance!

I'm glad we didn't end up buying more puppies even though I begged my husband on several facebook and craigslist posts. We can just chalk it up to hormones.

That I would no longer be that person who cares what my hair looks like, or that I didn't put makeup on. You guys are lucky if I even have my own shirt on. Big thanks to the hubs for letting me constantly steal your shirts. They're just so big and made me a lot less self conscious.

You'll sing a lot. You don't know the words to that song? It's cool, I just made up the last 3 verses.

Baby shoes are pointless. Cute but f*&!@#$ pointless. Oh, so are socks. Does anyone's baby actually keep them on?



Burp rags? Ha, you mean my shoulder? Ya it's great, it's always right where I need it.

Having a baby taught me just how precious a hour or two to yourself is. And you'll also realize that nap time doesn't mean you're catching up on your favorite show. It means catching up on laundry, taking a shower and finally going to the bathroom ALONE!

Having a baby also taught me that a lot of people were never taught manners. Hello? Do you not see me struggling to open this door and push the stroller at the same time? No? It's fine, just stand there and watch. A*! Hole.

There is no such thing as having enough data. Just take my money because I'm at 2,000 pictures/videos and yes I need all of them.

You now understand why your friend's houses are a mess. Because when they tell you they just cleaned up. They mean like literally 5 seconds ago. Because that's all the time they needed to trash the place again.

That Amazon Prime is the best thing ever created!

People weren't lying when they said, once they're mobile, you'll never sit down.

Monthly photos were cute and easy, until they're mobile and you end up with pictures like this...


Having a baby has taught me a lot, of course much more than I even put down. The good, the bad and the ugly. Mom life is amazing, crazy, stressful and beautiful all at the same time. I know it will only continue to be like that and that I will continue to learn everyday. Baby girl, I hope I teach you as much as you are teaching me. 

Also, I would love to hear what you guys learned from having a baby!


Comments