Save the Drama for Your Mama.



Having a little girl was something I always wanted. When your daddy and I found out you were a little girl we were both shocked. A mix of emotions ran over us. A little girl, huh? Wow. I can tell you what we were both thinking because I know your daddy well enough that I can tell you he was thinking "Oh shit, she is going to be beautiful, strong willed and opinionated like her mother." I was thinking "she is going to be goofy, carefree and hard working like her daddy." I can also tell you we both knew we had a very important job and that was to make sure you grew up to be all of those things because without guidance, structure and morals you would potentially face many more challenges. Every person faces challenges, I know this, but I also believe that it's our duty as parents to make sure you have a good head on your shoulders and a strong belief system. God has gotten me through so many tough times and I want you to be able to have that support too.

I was lucky enough to have a mom that showed me right from wrong, showed me how to be caring, patient and loving. She showed me how to be honest (even when it's hard to), how to work for something you want and how to be a friend to everyone. My mom didn't just tell me how to do things or punish me for doing things wrong, she modeled constantly. She showed me through her actions, and her spoken words. I paid attention a lot and even though I learned lessons along the way from personal trials and tribulations, I also already had a good path paved for me and I chose to follow it.

So here I am, thinking. Thinking about if I could plan out the type of mom I would be for you, I know exactly what that would be. I want to be the mom that you look up to, the one you aren't afraid to talk to about your deepest darkest secrets, the one you ask about things unknown. I want to teach you about God in hopes that you know him better than I do. 
I don't want to be your friend though, I want to be your mom, the one whom you confide in and know that I want what's best for you, even if you make the wrong choice. I want you to know that I will always support you and care for you even when you tell me that I'm the worst mom ever. I want to be the mom that shields you from heartache and pain. At the same time I want to let you know it's okay to feel all different emotions. No one is happy all the time. When you are sad, I hope you come to me. When you make forever friends or get in a fight with those friends-I hope you come to me. I hope you share with me over a bowl of ice cream that you kinda sorta have a crush on this one boy.

I want to know everything about you because nothing felt better to me than when my mom actually took an interest in me. I'm talking a real, non-judgemental interest. I know I won't always be able to sit and talk with you without having to explain to you right from wrong or give you consequences (because no one is perfect) but for as long as I can; I hope you and I have a close relationship. I hope you look up to me and think I'm a pretty great mom even when I make mistakes.

 I also I want to teach you how to be strong and how to be opinionated at the right times because standing up for yourself and others is very important. Don't be the one who stands in the background or follows the crowd. Be confident. Be a leader! But don't take life to seriously. There is so much in the world to worry about but you can't possibly carry it all on your shoulders, so don't. Just be a kid as long as you can and enjoy life to the fullest. Laugh as much as possible, take risks (but not ones too daring) and love unconditionally.

I have so many hopes for you to live a full and fortunate life like I did growing up. I hope no one steals your joy or smile and if they do, I promise to work my hardest to be your rock and stick up for you and by you in all your times of need. Ultimately, I will always choose you and make sure I do everything in my power to keep you safe, happy and healthy. When all else fails, just promise me you'll save the drama for your mama because that's what I'm here for. Forever and Always.






Comments