Tylar Jane Pirtle - Birth Story

I have a feeling Tylar's story will be one she will be telling or hearing being told her whole life. Some of you know, but many of you don't which is why I decided to do a post dedicated to this little ladies birth. Let's start by talking about the days leading up to her birth. September 7th, Austin and I had an appointment with our doctor. We had been having check ups every week so this was pretty routine by now. At the time we had already been put on a mandatory evacuation because of Hurricane Irma so our normal doctor's appointment was a little different. I was 39 weeks pregnant and we needed the green light to travel up north to my parent's house for the evacuation. I was only dilated to a 2 and it being our first pregnancy she wasn't worried and said we would most likely be back there a week later (at our next appointment) talking about the hurricane and checking on baby once again. I hadn't had any contractions or even feelings of her being ready to come so we packed up the car, the dogs and a few baby necessities--just in case--and headed north! 

We drove through the night and made it to Ohio the next morning. A typical 11 hour drive turned into a 14 hour drive because I had to stop every couple hours and get out and walk since I was so pregnant. We enjoyed a couple of days in Ohio before contractions started. They came quick and hard. I remember telling my doctor in previous appointments that I wasn't sure if I had had any contractions when she would ask. She said "Oh, you'll know" and did I ever! They were short lasting but close together. They started around 5 am Sunday morning and didn't stop but started to space out more. I remember not wanting to tell anyone I was having them. I don't know if it was because it would make it a real possibility of her coming or because I didn't want to stress anyone else out-which would stress me out. I wanted to stay calm and I honestly think in the back of my mind I really didn't think she would come early. Of course I eventually told Austin to which he responded "how close together?" and immediately looked up at what point do you go to the hospital. He was mentally all set to have her that day, texted his family and made a plan for us to go to a hospital to get checked out. I, on the other hand, played it off like it was nothing, but was counting on an app every contraction time and length. I relaxed the whole day and they started to slow way down. That night however, they came back quickly and strong again which made it impossible to sleep. Monday, I was exhausted but needed to make an appointment to see a doctor because the evacuation had been lifted and school was to resume on Wednesday. I didn't want to miss any work because I was saving all my sick days for maternity leave. Looking back that should have been the last thing I was worrying about but I'm telling you I was in such denial of her coming! We went to the hospital that I was deliverd at for a check up and ended up spending 4 hours there because my blood pressure was high and they wanted to monitor me, take blood to make sure I wasn't developing pre-clampsia and watch babies heart beat. Everything came back normal and again was only dilated to a 2.5 so he said we were okay to leave Tuesday morning like we planned.

Austin and I left the hospital, went to dinner with my family and packed up our stuff so we were ready to leave the next morning. Well, God and Tylar had other plans because at 12:45 that night, my water broke. I remember being told most people  get their water broke for them so I was really surprised that mine happened on it's own. I immediately told Austin to which he said "Alright, okay, alright, let's go" haha. I remember laughing because we have a major obsession with the Office and all I could think about was Season 5, Episode 13 mainly because we joked the night before that he would react like Michael Scott does in that episode. We made it to the hospital around 1:15 and got checked in. My contractions were really strong at this point and it wasn't long before I realized I would never be one of those moms who doesn't get an epidural. Much praise to those who go natural but I will never, by choice, be one of them. Once I got mine, I was in paradise--as you can see below haha.


I remember thinking I wanted someone to be in the delivery room taking pictures, documenting our babies birth; not the actual birth, but everything leading up to and then afterwards. The reactions, the baby, our new little family--I blame pinterest for having this unrealistic vision. That being said, I didn't get any pictures until she was born. I slept until I was able to push and at 9:49 we welcomed our little girl into the world. I was super lucky having the easiest pregnancy and God was good once again and gave me the easiest labor and delivery. Now, my prayer is that every child we have goes the same ha!

5 pounds, 14 ounces and 19 inches long. We couldn't be more in love!


My absolute favorite moment. As soon as she came out I immediately got to do an hour of skin to skin. 




Little fun fact: Tylar was born at the same hospital as myself and my dad!






The moment we were in the car heading home was the most surreal for me. 

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes, sweet comments and donations while we were away from home. We cannot thank you enough!


Comments